Monday, December 21, 2015

Out of the warphole and into the water!

Well so many things have happened this week. Its been a week full of challenges and full of blessings. But the Biggest thing that happened was I got changed. I got out of the Warphole!! Haha that means I am no longer in the Luque stake. My new area Is called "Trinidad" and I am in Asuncion right now. Its so different here. There are a TON of cars here. Like Emboscada was out there and there wasn't much of anything. Here there is everything... Cars, tons of people everywhere, lots of noise, Cigarette smoke and dogs in the street... It's so different. I feel like it's a little bit more like the states. My area is a lot smaller than Emboscada and there is a lot more asphalt here. I'm sure my shoes are loving it. I like Trinidad because it is so close to where the church began here in Paraguay. We have some of the oldest Paraguayan converts and they have some amazing stories. For example, we met with the third Paraguayan to get baptized on Friday. He was baptized I believe in 1965. He told us that he has represented the Church in Paraguay for many years and has been able to travel to Utah for Conferences and meetings. I've met people that helped build the temple here. I know an Architect that helps design and build all the chapels in Paraguay. The architect is named Jose. He speaks English and has read the Book of Mormon (In English) more than 36 times. I love all the history here.

My new companion is Elder Fermin. He is from a native tribe of Nivacle here in Paraguay. He comes from the north of Paraguay in "the Chaco" and he has about 7 months on the mission. It's hard for him because he didn't speak Spanish before the mission. So Spanish is his second language also. It's hard because he doesn't talk much. In fact he talks very little. I try to let him talk in lessons but he just says a little line and then won't say much more. I'm not sure if he doesn't understand or if he just doesn't want to talk. I feel like he just doesn't want to talk. So its been pretty hard. Just not having anyone to talk to. Or someone to respond to me. But honestly I love this opportunity. I believe that he is a direct descendant from the lamanites. Its a pretty special opportunity that I have to be with him. It's a tough challenge, but it's worth it.

So last week I told you about a crazy wind storm that tore up trees by the root... well, here there aren't any trees torn up, but there has been a ton of flooding. They say the the Paraguay river has grown over a mile wide on each side. There are tons of people with houses underwater. Honestly its nuts how much water there is. The government has given thin sheets of plywood and 2x4s so people can build temporary homes. It looks very very poor, because there are tons of wooden huts that line the street. I'm sure that some are poor and have lost most of their possessions, but I get a feeling that most are ok.  It's been a mess trying to find members, because they have all moved and nobody knows where they live now. So we honestly don't know where a lot of people are. But we will be searching this week!!

I love you all and wish you a Merry Christmas (emphasis in the Christ)
Elder Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment