Monday, February 8, 2016

The Power of a Book

Well this week has been a pretty good week. It really flew by so so quick. I don't understand how time can pass by so darn fast. it's incredible. But this week was just a normal week in the hot Paraguayan summer. Lots of sweat lots of water. Elder Polo is back to normal so it was good getting back into the work full time. Something really awesome that happened this week was that we gave Richard (our progressing investigator) the option to be baptized on the 13th because he has met all the requirements and really has a firm testimony and a firm commitment to got to church always. He accepted and will be baptized this Saturday. Yesterday we went to pick him up to go to church and we were arriving a little bit late and when we got there, he wasn't there. We were a little bit worried because he seemed so firm, we didn't know where he was. So we get to the church and he's there. We were so relieved to see him there and so happy that he took the imitative and went by himself. I think that it shows his commitment to follow Christ.

Other than that, there wasn't anything to special about this week. Every week in the mission is full of great things and full of tiny miracles that there is no way to talk about all of them.

There is one thing that I do want to tell you guys from my studies this week. Our area has challenged all the members to read the Book of Mormon before the next conference and so as a mission we have been doing that since January. This week I was studying a lot about Ammon and Aaron and all their missionary success. As a missionary, We study them a lot and learn how to be like them. But this time around what kept jumping out to me was the people they were teaching and their conversion. I realized that just being baptized doesn't really make us converted to the Lord. Baptism is a critical step on our way to being converted, but conversion takes time. A good amount of time. So I made a list of attributes of a converted people following Alma 24: the number is the verse that I found it in.

1. Converts are slow to anger
6. Converts are peacemakers
8. Converts recognize that their conversion came from the Spirit
10: Converts become converted through the Atonement of Jesus Christ
11. Converts realize that repentance isn't easy, but its worth it
13. Converts are afraid to commit sin
15. Converts will always give thanks to God no matter the situation.
18. Converts want to make covenants with the Lord
19. Converts will prefer to die than to break Convenants.

That's my list, I want to see if you could find more attributes and then let me know!! I really feel like in these 19 months, I have become more converted to the Lord. I'm on my way and will always be trying to better my conversion. I really loved this chapter and I want to know what you all think!!

Love you all

Elder Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment